WELCOME TO INBT!

Welcome to I'm Not Buying That, the blog where we dissect the woeful mistakes of the advertising industry. I'm your host, CJ Garrett, and I view terrible ads so you don't have to.

See something that makes your eyes bleed? Drop me a line at cjthewriter@gmail.com!

Counter of Awesome

Constant Content

I write articles for CC! Check out this link if you'd like to join up and start freelancing!

My blog directory link thingies. I'm collecting them. :D

Listed in LS Blogs the Blog Directory and Blog Search Engine
SearchMotron.com

RSS Search
Web Directory
Add blog to our directory.
blog search directory
like what you've read, click here to give this author a higher rating at blogskinny.com

Blogs
Im Not Buying That - Blogged blog directory
Humor blogs
Blog Directory

Humor Blogs
blogs


Submit Blog Directory
bad advertising blog
Blog Directory & Search engine

Laughter Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory



Free Site Advertising Web Directory Submit your site url free to free site advertising web directory!

Promote Your Blog
Blogger Directory
Copyright CJ Garrett 2011. Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Obvious Ad is Obvious

Now, sometimes I've heard people in the ad industry talk about customers as if they're literally as dumb as chimps on a sugar high. There's an attitude there that sometimes (or all the time, depending on who you ask) people need to have the core message of an advert beaten into their eyeballs in order for it to be truly effective.

Needless to say, I don't really subscribe to this position. If anything, I would think that ads need to be even more sophisticated these days to really penetrate the collective public consciousness.

[obligatory silly comment] Hur, hur, I said 'penetrate'. [/obligatory silly comment]

Moving swiftly on - if there were an award for Most Obvious Ad Banner Ever, Even Including those McDonalds Coffee Cups That Say 'Caution: Hot!", I think Pizza Hut would win it by a mile with this little gem.


Yes, Pizza Hut has Pizza. The mind, it boggles.

Actually, this got me thinking about why they'd decide to put that up there. I realize this means I'm ascribing actual rational thought to someone working in both advertising and Pizza Hut, but let's just go with it for now.

Back when I was in college learning how to be a pretentious asshole, I got a part time job working in a Chinese restaurant to help pay for beer money and smokes. I was one of the counter jockeys who took orders and handed out food. The pay was terrible but you got your dinner free - and if you're into Chinese food, it was an awesome place to be.

Anyway, one night this guy comes in and asks for a pizza. Dude, this is a Chinese place, I say. We don't do pizza. He stares at the menu for about ten minutes, then comes back and says, okay, I'll have a burger then.
No matter what I said, this guy just didn't get that WE ONLY SELL CHINESE FOOD.

Seeing this sign kinda makes me think Pizza Hut have had a run in with the same dude. If so, they have my deepest and most profound sympathy. He's the kind of guy the ad agencies have in mind when they think of the 'average consumer'.

Hear that, dude? You're making the rest of us look bad!

CJ, over and out

0 comments:

Support Japan

If you're going to donate to anyone, make it MSF. Even if Japan doesn't need it, there's a lot of people around the world that do.

I Wuv Amazon

Followers