WELCOME TO INBT!

Welcome to I'm Not Buying That, the blog where we dissect the woeful mistakes of the advertising industry. I'm your host, CJ Garrett, and I view terrible ads so you don't have to.

See something that makes your eyes bleed? Drop me a line at cjthewriter@gmail.com!

Counter of Awesome

Constant Content

I write articles for CC! Check out this link if you'd like to join up and start freelancing!

My blog directory link thingies. I'm collecting them. :D

Listed in LS Blogs the Blog Directory and Blog Search Engine
SearchMotron.com

RSS Search
Web Directory
Add blog to our directory.
blog search directory
like what you've read, click here to give this author a higher rating at blogskinny.com

Blogs
Im Not Buying That - Blogged blog directory
Humor blogs
Blog Directory

Humor Blogs
blogs


Submit Blog Directory
bad advertising blog
Blog Directory & Search engine

Laughter Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory



Free Site Advertising Web Directory Submit your site url free to free site advertising web directory!

Promote Your Blog
Blogger Directory
Copyright CJ Garrett 2011. Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, November 18, 2010

You don't need grammar when you're a Street Fighter!

Ever get that feeling where you see a really funny ad, with a really funny slogan, and you read it and smile a bit? You might even chuckle, and shake your head, and then continue on your merry way with a spring in your step.

This is good advertising, the kind that marketing people have wet dreams about. Creating such campaigns, though, is not easy - and of course, we witness the messy attempts at greatness here at INBT!

Coming to you direct from the deepest darkest reaches of Kotaku, in the red corner - CAPCOM!

*booooooo*


AAaaaaaand in the blue corner, wearing the gold and black shorts and weighing less than Kate Moss - CJ!

Yes, well. Capcom apparently went a bit nuts for oddball slogans this time around. Another shining example in the same campaign is "She's Got Legs." Classy, classy stuff.

Anyway, let's take a quick look here:


  • Okay, not being able to read the name of the game is pretty poor. Yes, if you know Street Fighter, chances are you don't need to see the name - but it would be kinda useful to know what version of the game you're buying. Is this Street Fighter: Let's Beat Each Other Up, or Street Fighter: Let's Do Our Taxes?
  • That is not a slogan that makes sense. You're trying to imply that it's a whole new experience or something - please. Let's not fool ourselves here. I don't think anyone is going to buy this game for the novel gameplay, and anyway, doing something again for the first time DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. I can feel my brain trying to escape already.
  • Dumb slogans abound! 'She's Got Legs' should win an award for Boring Obviousness. (Not strictly to do with this particular poster, I know, but it's in the same campaign and therefore a legitimate target.)


Sometimes I get tired of saying this, but making a customer go 'Buh?' may not be a good way to get them to buy things. It's funny in a way, because the other slogans in the campaign here are actually kinda cool - it's these two that are letting the side down.

You know, I loved Street Fighter when I was a kid. I loved the animated movie even though it's a thinly disguised attempt to sell more computer games, and therefore has nothing even vaguely resembling a proper plot. Oh yes, I was the kid who wore combats and dog tags and spiked up his hair and ran around yelling 'SONIIIIIICCCCC BOOOOM!' on Halloweeen. And I am not sorry, not even when I accidentally kicked my best friend in the face.

Ah, good times. Here, have an action figure of the 10-year-old me.

CJ, over and out

0 comments:

Support Japan

If you're going to donate to anyone, make it MSF. Even if Japan doesn't need it, there's a lot of people around the world that do.

I Wuv Amazon

Followers